ACADEMY STANDARDS AND EXPECTATIONS
A high standard of personal appearance is expected of all students at Leeds West Academy. The full support of parents/carers is requested with regard to uniform. The proper wearing of our uniform is expected at all times (in school, and to and from school) as it reflects on the individual as well as the School community. In cases of any dispute regarding the suitability of uniform or appearance, the Principal’s decision is final.
LWA branded items can be purchased from Whittakers Schoolwear, 3-5 Town St, Farsley, Pudsey LS28 5EN.
Telephone: 0113 256 60 20.
Students are expected to:
- Wear a black blazer with teal piping and academy logo at all times until otherwise directed.
- Wear a white tailored shirt which must be tucked into your waistband with a top button that must be fastened. Wear the correct coloured school tie which must be worn with the knot covering the top button of the shirt.
- It is optional to wear the school jumper with teal and mustard banding on the V-neck. This can be worn in addition to the blazer, not as a substitute.
- Wear plain black tailored trousers with black socks. Tailored means not tight fitting or figure hugging and not made from stretchy fabrics. Any other style of trouser is not permitted. Jeans, leggings, cut-off trousers or trousers with decorative zips are not permitted.
- If a student chooses to wear a belt, it must be black and have a suitable buckle.
- Skirts are not permitted to be worn as part of the Academy uniform.
- Wear completely black leather shoes. Trainers/pumps/canvas shoes/high heels are NOT allowed. All shoes must be free from branding or logos on the upper of the shoes or the edges of the soles. All shoes must have a flat sole and sit below the ankle (not ankle boots).
- Sturdy school bag which you can fit an A4 folder in.
- Outdoor items such as outdoor coats, hats and scarves can be worn to and from the academy; however these should be removed before entering the buildings.
Jewellery is not permitted except one small gold/silver stud in each ear. No other piercing anywhere on the face or tongue is allowed; covering with plasters is not acceptable. Students are encouraged to wear a watch. Where students arrive at school with excessive make-up, bright eyeliner, lipstick, nail varnish, etc, they will be asked to remove it. Nail extensions, Shellac or any other additions to natural nails are not allowed. If a student is unable to remove any of the aforementioned they will be placed in Seclusion until this is done. Extremes in hairstyle are not permitted. The decision regarding the appropriateness of the above areas of appearance is at the discretion of the LWA Pastoral Team.
- LWA logoed polo only
- LWA logoed shorts only
- LWA logoed black tracksuit bottoms only
- LWA logoed hoody only
- Studs (Preferred for outdoor lessons)
- A change of clean black socks
- Hair bobble
Equipment and Clothing to support PE uniform, can include:
- Black long sleeve skin to go under LWA polo
- Sports hat and gloves (Depending on the sport and weather)
- Shin pads and gum shield dependent on the sport
The below are not acceptable:
- Long sleeved top on its own
- Fashion jackets with hoods/fur
- Hair down
If you require any support with PE uniform please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Performing Arts Kit
Students are allowed to wear a gym-like t-shirt that is not figure hugging and/or the PA t-shirt. Students are not allowed to wear crop tops in lessons.
- Students are allowed to wear leggings which must be opaque.
- Students are allowed to wear dance shoes/ dance trainers in a dance class. However, they will not be allowed to wear socks in a dance/movement class if they have no other footwear.
The decision regarding the appropriateness of uniform and appearance is at the discretion of the LWA Pastoral Team.
Planner – provided by the school
2 x Blue or black pens
Green and purple pen
2 x Pencils
The use of mobile phones is not permitted on corridors or classrooms. Students who bring their mobile phones to school must ensure that their mobile phone is turned off and in the bottom of a school bag whilst in these areas. Mobile phones can be used in the canteen and outside patio area.
We do not accept responsibility for mobile phones or mobile technology through either loss or theft.
Further information about the use of Mobile Technology can be found in the White Rose Academies Trust Positive Behaviour Policy.