Our school community celebrates diversity and upholds a clear vision through our Equality Objectives. Leeds West Academy ensures that equal human rights are respected for all and that students are educated in equality through all aspects of their learning. We tackle inequality as a school community; regularly assessing our practices in relation to age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, race, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Our Equality Objectives for 2015 - 2018 are:
- To significantly reduce the amount of language used by students that could be considered discriminatory.
- To reduce the number of bullying incidents related to the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act, 2010.
- To promote the understanding of other cultures and traditions through the values curriculum, the racial harmony group, and the wider curriculum.
- To reduce the gap between advantaged and disadvantaged students, and to secure outstanding progress for those with SEND.
- To promote the interests of disabled students through the Accessibility Plan.
Accessibility Plan for Disabled Students
Leeds West Academy provides a 21st Century learning environment where every student has every opportunity to learn and express themselves as individuals. We are fortunate to work within a highly-resourced new building, opened in 2011, which was specifically designed to ensure the social inclusion of all young people with disabilities. By regularly refining our learning facilities, we are also ensuring that any barriers which present themselves are quickly addressed, securing the mobility, independence and safety of all students and staff.